It’s getting very close to the point where soon I will be able to join the ranks of proud dads that fill my Instagram feed daily. It seems strange that for the past several months I have been at a loose end with content as there has been really very little for me to do in terms of ‘being a dad’. In the coming weeks, my life is going to change forever and I’m really excited to become a dad for the first time and join a great community of fathers; rather than being stood on the sideline and spectating.
With our daughters birth potentially being sooner than we all thought I wanted to write an article documenting everything, we have bought and prepared to go into our hospital bags. Emma is much more organised than me, having her bag already packed and ready to go, whereas my stuff is scattered all over the house. I really need to get my sh*t together!
So, whats in our hospital bags?
- 30 nappies (Yes 30! its best to be prepared, babies sh*t a lot, so I’ve heard) We have mixed brands of nappies, some are Pampers and some are supermarket brands. We have no idea which is the best so we have bought a variety.
- Cotton wool balls.
- 3 Muslin squares in grey and white (They won’t stay white for long).
- 5 bodysuits plus 1 personalised body suit which we got from notonthehighstreet.com which is the first outfit she will wear.
- A variety of different wipes; water wipes and baby wipes etc.
- 2 hats and matching mittens plus 2 pairs of socks.
- The coming home dress is a Winnie the Pooh dress from Asda and a knitted white cardigan.
- SMA pro first infant milk ready to use bottles just in case we have problems with breastfeeding. Hopefully, we won’t need this but its always best to be prepared for any situation!
- Johnson’s baby oil
- White knitted shawl knitted by her great grandma.
That’s one bag packed and ready to go! Now, its a pretty different story for the bag I need to pack. Although I have pretty much everything I’m going to need to take with me to the hospital, it’s scattered randomly all over the house. So instead of telling whats in my hospital bag, I’ll tell you what will be in my hospital bag.
- Food; plenty of snacks to last as who knows how long we are going to be in hospital and vending machines are expensive
- Spare change of clothes.
- Toothbrush and other toiletries. (nobody likes bad breath.
- Hypnobirthing notes and our wishes and preferences for birth written down.
- A book, though my mind may be unable to concentrate on reading.
- Phone, charger and Bluetooth speaker to keep family up to date on what is happening and also for the use of Spotify. (The use of the speaker will be revealed further down)
- Plenty of change for the car park.
- Not going into the bag exactly but packing the car seat into the car ready and also cleaning my car of all the empty Mcdonalds packagings! (they’re everywhere!)
- My book of dad jokes and my dad T-shirts.
For those who don’t know, we have decided to try hypnobirthing so that Emma can have as natural and pain-free birth as possible. We bought an online course provided by the positive birth company and have been working through the content over the past several months. The good thing about hypnobirthing is that it gives the father and active role in the birth of your baby rather than them being stood on the sideline feeling about as much use as the plastic lids they give you on a Mcflurry. The course teaches the father ways to help comfort and support mum throughout the birth. Some of my jobs in the birth room will be:
- Keeping Emma calm with techniques such as light touch massage and the traffic light system.
- Hitting her with some of my best dad jokes to keep the atmosphere happy and positive.
- Ensuring that all medical staff and midwives know our requests and being there to speak up for Emma when she may be unable to.
- Being in charge of the music that we want to play during the birth, hence the Bluetooth speaker. I have made a playlist on Spotify that is a mix of relaxing songs and melodies. If you are interested in said playlist please let me know!
I’m pretty sure that I have covered everything I wanted to talk about above. All I can say now is please continue to watch this space as hopefully soon there will be a big announcement coming. If you want to follow Emma’s Instagram you can do so here @emmwar02
If there’s anything you think I have missed out from either of the bags then please let me know!